The Academy of Science - St. Louis Science Fair
Inquiry-Based Learning at its Best!
Welcome to the Fair
|Your Project Board|
Your display (project board) is a visual representation of your topic and research. In order to create a display that presents your topic and findings as clearly as possible, we suggest you:
- Label the sections and arrange them logically.
- Include: background information, problem, hypothesis, procedure, results and conclusions.
- Photos: use photographs to show the procedure (no identifying faces in photos - you may cover faces with a sticker).
- Printing: Use large, bold printing or typing.
- Color-code the studies variables.
- Reference your logbook for critical information or data.
- Acknowledge those who advised, assisted you, or wrote your log book for kindergarten and those not able to do so. Do this in general terms such as my teacher or my parent, etc.
- Computer-generated materials are acceptable for the display board.
- How will you be judged? Review the scoring rubric - make sure you have all the components for a blue ribbon project!
NOTE: It is important the identity of anyone involved in the project NOT be on the display or in the logbook, nor should your school or district name or identity be present.
The following display rules ensure safety for the viewer, prevent the loss of students’ valuable or valued items, and assure equity of display area and compliance with federal regulations:
- Safety: Food, sharp items, breakables, liquids, powders, animals, body fluids, microbes, flammables, electrical hazards or other materials considered hazardous CANNOT be displayed. Use photographs, models or drawings to represent these things. Refer to the Safety Guidelines for exact details. Fire: Projects are NOT allowed that involve fire or burning objects for students in grades K-5.
- NEW: Select Division: Students in Grades 6-12 who have a project involving fire, burning objects, hazardous materials and bacteria - you must complete Select Division Safety Form 1A - safety authorization must be completed before you begin your project and will require signatures of your parents and teacher. Attach approved research plan, signed Safety Form 1A and e-mail authorization for Academy of Science to your logbook.
- Valuables: Items that are valuable or valued by the student are not to be displayed. The fair is not responsible for any missing or lost items from student display.
- The display - Maximum Outside Dimensions of Display Board: 30 inches (76.2 cm)(the center piece of the tri-fold). Can be purchased at most office supply stores or you teacher may be ordering a bulk supply.
- A base is not necessary. The tri-fold display works best
(Note: 30" is the measurement of the middle section of the tri-fold so that the width is 30").
- No awards or commendations from pre-fairs may be displayed.
- No photos that identify persons may be displayed.
- No student name(s) or school/district name(s) may be displayed.
- Compliance: The study design complies with our parent fair, ISEF., and federal regulations regarding controlled substances, human subjects, pathogenic agents, recombinant DNA, tissues, and vertebrates.
- Exhibit Card: The official Academy of Science Exhibit Card must be completed and attached to the lower right-hand corner of the display. (Row & Position available APRIL 20, 2017 - link will be on home page or from your teacher)
Are you looking for a display board? Sometimes your school will order boards in bulk. You can also find the boards locally at stores like: Office Depot ($7.99 each), Walmart ($8.95) and Target (3.25) (Prices from internet - may vary in stores).
Science Fair boards are available at:
Dollar Tree - boards for $1
Michael's for $6.50; however, go to their app on your phone (Michaels coupons) and take advantage of their "one item only 40% or 50% discount." If you have more than one child, purchase the boards separately to take advantage of the discount.
If you have questions, contact your school science teacher.
If you need further assistance, contact